Sunday, November 25, 2007

New words

I was reading an article this afternoon and came across several words with which I was unfamiliar so (of course) I looked them up. They're pretty fun words so I thought I'd share them. I must admit I'm not sure when one would ever use them, the author whose article I was reading could easily have used more familiar words and I confess that I mentally accused him of using $10 words just to make himself sound more intelligent (or something). Here they are (with help from Webster's):

perspicuous

Main Entry:
per·spic·u·ous Listen to the pronunciation of perspicuous
Pronunciation:
\pər-ˈspi-kyə-wəs\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Latin perspicuus transparent, perspicuous, from perspicere
Date:
1586

: plain to the understanding especially because of clarity and precision of presentation

opprobrium
Main Entry:
op·pro·bri·um Listen to the pronunciation of opprobrium
Pronunciation:
\-brē-əm\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Latin, from opprobrare to reproach, from ob in the way of + probrum reproach; akin to Latin pro forward and to Latin ferre to carry, bring — more at ob-, for, bear
Date:
1656
1: something that brings disgrace2 a: public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious b: contempt, reproach


defeasance
Main Entry:
de·fea·sance Listen to the pronunciation of defeasance
Pronunciation:
\di-ˈfē-zən(t)s\
Function:
noun
Etymology:
Middle English defesance, from Anglo-French, from defesaunt, present participle of defaire
Date:
15th century
1 a (1): the termination of a property interest in accordance with stipulated conditions (as in a deed) (2): an instrument stating such conditions of limitation b: a rendering null or void2: defeat, overthrow


No comments:

Live chat

About Me

My photo
I am... a wife a daughter a sister/sister-in-law an aunt a reader a librarian a doctor a quilter a niece a grandmother ;-) a cat owner 6 feet 1 inches tall a yoga enthusiast a cook