Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Mashups

I attended a really good webinar on Tuesday about mashups. Mashups are a software application that allows you to combine data from two or more sources (usually web sites) to create a new web site. Most of the earliest mashups were created using Google maps combined with all kinds of other information like home prices, weather, traffic, etc. Here's a couple of examples of the cool things you can do with mashups:
http://www.marumushi.com/apps/newsmap/newsmap.cfm

This is a mashup that displays patterns in news reporting across countries.

http://www.frappr.com/blogginglibrarians
This one is a map with "push-pins indicating the physical location of librarians with blogs.

This is something cool that I'd love to play around with in my spare time (hah!). If I ever get around to it, I'll share my creations here!

No comments:

Live chat

About Me

My photo
I am... a wife a daughter a sister/sister-in-law an aunt a reader a librarian a doctor a quilter a niece a grandmother ;-) a cat owner 6 feet 1 inches tall a yoga enthusiast a cook